My *Mold Killing* education is now complete. This is not the education I was expecting as a new widow. Dealing with grief, yes. Killing mold, um… no.
Most people have been led to believe the wrong things about killing mold, how to do it, what to use and even if it’s possible. Many who knew of my mold dilemma suggested using bleach. Nope. Bleach doesn’t kill mold!
WHAT DOES KILL MOLD ~
YL THIEVES EO & Household Cleaner (HCC)
- Thieves actually digests mold spores both IN the air and ON surfaces
- testing has proven the dramatic reduction of mold spores when Thieves EO is diffused
- mold doesn’t return when YL Thieves EO is diffused regularly and YL Thieves Household Cleaner is used on surfaces in the home
- is safe to use around pets and children
- does NOT destroy wiring, nails or other building materials
- safe to ingest to treat mold exposure. ONLY the YL brand is recommended to take internally.
- A research paper presented at a scientific conference at a Texas university showed that YL Thieves eliminated 19 mold species 100% of the time. The average mold spore removal efficiency for all 34 species encountered was 97.27%.
- These can be verified at MoldRx4U.com
WHAT DOES NOT KILL MOLD ~
In my research I have discovered that standard mold killing treatments are either not effective, hazardous to my health or both!
- bleach is no longer recommend to treat mold by OSHA, EPA & others
- bleach removes mold only from non-porous surfaces
- cleaning with bleach stirs up the mold spores & puts them in the air causing more health related problems & allergic reactions
CHEMICALS, BIO-CIDES & FUNGICIDES
- are poisons
- treat either the surface or the air, not both (mold is IN both)
- banned by CA citing studies that ozone leads to lung damage
- may oxidize & off-gas harmful contaminants
- may destroy or damage electrical wiring, nails, and other building materials
- only treats air, not surfaces
- no impact on source of mold
REMOVE, REPLACE, TEAR IT OUT or DOWN
- if the source of moisture is fixed this may be unnecessary
- does not treat the air
- is very costly
I choose not to do this step for a number of reasons. a) the mold on the walls was due to the extra humidity from the bathroom in the winter, b) combined with the fact that we heat with a single source point of heat… at the opposite end of the house, c) the bathroom exhaust fans were not working for a time which contributed to this problem, d) I caught this early… well the stuff on the walls anyway.
2) Diffuse the Thieves for 24 – 48 hours using a diffuser that does not add water to the air.
I diffused AFTER we removed the carpet & padding in the next step. I used the TheraPro to diffuse my YL Thieves EO. Diffusing was started at a very slow rate for the first 12 hours because it was just in this one room (I kept the door closed). Then I decided it would be better to diffuse at full strength and did so for the full 48 hours. If I had to do it over, I would have diffused full strength from the outset. Remember, the carpet was cleaned with the YL Thieves HCC, twice, prior to removal. This did kill the mold in the carpet but not in the padding nor on the sub-floor. I had also washed the mold areas on the walls with the YL Thieves Household Cleaner and sprayed them down with more Thieves Spray.
Done and done. I also choose to seal the sub-floor with Kilz before laying down the new flooring. It wasn’t possible for me to remove the sub-floor (particle board) and the mold could have sent it nasty tentacles into the glue that holds the particles together into a board. The sealant with mold inhibitor gives me that extra layer of protection from the spores.
Blessings, ~Aunt Mae
Obligatory Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a physician. THESE SUGGESTED USES APPLY ONLY TO THE USE OF THERAPEUTIC GRADE, YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS
This post shared here: What Joy is Mine, Finding Heaven, A Mama’s Story, Far Above Rubies, Time Warp Wife, Growing Home, Heavenly Homemakers, Hip Homeschool Moms, Raising Homemakers, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, We Are THAT Family, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Arrows, Whole Hearted Home, Whole Intentions, Graced Simplicity, Jill’s Home Remedies,