Here is another super easy, great tasting breakfast idea using the Udi’s loaf of white bread out of my package.
I was sent a package of Udi’s gluten free baked goods and asked to come up with a variety of holiday & entertaining ideas.
The Christmas holiday & New Year’s celebration sometimes includes overnight guests. This wouldn’t be the only time a celebration came with overnight guests in a year!
Whenever we have had overnight guests, I have tried to include in the menu, items that make it easier for me to feed extra people and have time to spend with them that doesn’t have me at the kitchen sink or in the kitchen the whole time!
Overnight French Toast has been one recipe I can count on to easily feed a crowd. This is easy to prepare, easy to cook, easy to serve and always comes with rave reviews! This recipe is not my own, there are numerous ones floating around cyberspace. I will include what I did for this one and give some options for seasonal variety as well in the notes that follow.
- 6 slices of Udi's gluten free white bread
- 2 cups egg nog (I used an organic variety from my local store)
- freshly grated nutmeg (I get whole nutmeg Mountain Rose herbs)
- Cut the bread sliced into ½ inch cubes, place in greased pie dish.
- Pour egg nog over bread cubes. Stir gently so all cubes have been coated with the egg nog. Sprinkle with the freshly grated nutmeg. Cover with foil and let sit in refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Next morning remove dish from refrigerator and let sit on counter while oven heats and you prepare the rest of your meal. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking to brown & crisp top.
- Serve with maple syrup & organic bacon or sausage.
WINTER ~ add ½ cup raisins, 1 tsp organic orange zest, ½ tsp cinnamon & nutmeg.
~ 4 oz cream cheese, 1 tsp organic orange zest, ½ cup orange juice for part of milk. Blend cream cheese, orange juice, milk, cane juice & eggs together until smooth. Add zest, pour over cubed bread. Proceed as directed.
~1 cup diced Fuyu Persimmons, ¼ tsp organic lime zest, ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (opt)
~ ½ cup dried cranberries, 1 tsp organic orange zest
~ ½ cup pumpkin puree, 4 oz cream cheese, ¼ tsp each cinnamon & nutmeg. Blend together with milk, cane juice & eggs, pour over cubed bread. Top with coarsely chopped pecans (opt).
SPRING ~ ½ cup dried cherries, 1 tsp vanilla, ½ cup slivered almonds (opt)
~ 1 cup quartered strawberries added to top in last 10 minutes of baking
~1/4 - ½ cup diced rhubarb, increase sugar to ¾ cup, ½ tsp cinnamon
SUMMER ~ 1 cup fresh blueberries & ½ tsp cinnamon
~ 1 cup diced peaches, ½ tsp cinnamon
~ 1 cup diced apricots, ½ tsp organic lemon thyme leaves
FALL ~ 1 cup diced apple, ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ cup maple syrup instead of sugar, ¼ coarsely chopped walnuts (opt)
~ 1 cup diced pear, ¼ tsp ground cardamom
Blessings, ~Aunt Mae
Disclaimer ~ I received these Udi’s products in exchange for holiday & entertaining ideas. All ideas and opinions are my own. Post contains some affiliate links.